Subject: Re: Dual P90 or single P100, which is better (Attempt #2)
From: "Daniel J. McCoy" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 16:07:30 -0800

At 03:35 PM 3/29/96 -0800, Robert Nederhorst wrote this:
>One caveat: I have noticed that a p90 is for some reason significantly
slower than 
>a p100.  I do not know the reason for this, but when I still had a p100 at
home 
>and a very similarly configured 90 at work the 100 ran much faster than the 90.
>Go with a dual 100 :) hehe.

This probably has something to do with the system (RAM access, ect) being
clocked at 60MHz for a P90 (1.5 clock multiplied) vs 66MHz for a 100MHz
(again, 1.5 clock multiplied).  But depending on the motherboard, he can pop
two P100s (P133 or P166 motherboard permitting based on the multiplier
jumper) in, move a jumper and provided the RAM is either 60ns or 70ns RAM
that has no problem dealing with 66MHz, he's set.  :)

Couldn't he also run LW on one processor and the screamernet executable with
the other?  Me thinks he should also have at least 64MB of RAM for this?

Dan
Who thinks of a dual PentiumPro based motherboard from time to time...  But
then, an Alpha is right up there in my dreams too.  :)
--
Daniel J. McCoy - [email-masked] or [email-masked]
http//www.pacificnet.net/~djmccoy